Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thirumalerumcholai enthai!

I was randomizing my playlists on the ipod when suddenly sprang the words ,
"Unnai allal deivam illai, Thirumalerumcholai enthai".
Wow!!!

Prabhandam flowed out of the ipod springing goose pimples to my skin. "Senniongu than thiruvenkatamudaiyai, Ulagu thannai vaazha ninna Nambi..", "Paravai eru param puruda, nee ennaikk kaikkkondapin.." Aha! I wish I was able to recite and write each one of them a thousand and crores of times over.

Hearing it delivered by Sri. Venkatakrishanan swamigal of Thiruvallikeni(Adiyen originating in Thiruvallikeni) is really scintillating. This got me thinking about the beauty of the tamil in the lyrics and devotion of the Alwars. Nayanmars too wrote amazing and perfect tamil even making the layman wonder if Tamizh originated from this bhakti rasa or was it otherwise?

Tamizh. It is a divine language. So proclaimed by the Lord of the universe. He goes after the bhaktas who recite the Divya Prabhanda while sanskrit in the Vedic form runs behind Him to get His notice. The lingua franca of Bhakti of the kali yuga.

I must confess, when I was in school, I was exceptionally bad at thamizh and also hated the language. But when I got initiated to the temple and listened to the lyrics of the Prabhandam being recited over and over again..enough to decipher the words and much trips to the walking lexicographers : amma,appa and patti: I grew to be fiercely protective and defensive about the language. But that forms the basis for another discussion which we shall defer to Srishti and not here.

The names of the Lord, so charmingly formed after His attributes and His deeds. His creed, and His joy. Aha! It just melts the heart. I think it is the Nalaam pathu of the Mudhalayiram. Not sure. There is a set of hymns/poems that describe Krishna as a lovely little toddler who stumbling at His feet looks up at the sky and...discovers the moon. Beckons the Moon God to come His way, waving His chubby arms. Aha! Just that.

I think I can actually relate to Thiru Paanazhvar when He cries ,"aiyo, en nenju nilai kondathuve!" seeing the divine beauty of the Lord. (albeit in a much humbled and ignorant manner)

Or when in Thiruch Chanda Vrutham, Swami Thirumazhisai azhvar sings, "Nandatha Kallgal nonthavo? Nandu gnalam ennamai,
Idantha mei kulungavo, vilangu maal varaichuram
parantha kaal kidantha kavirikk karai kudanthaiyul
kidanthavarru ezhunthu erunthu pesu aazhikesane!
Or Shri Andaal in Her divine exposition,
"vallainai kondranai, mattrarai matraazhikka vallanai"

The appellations that the divine bears to please His. Sarangapani is named or called lovingly as "En appa, En Irudikesa." And the Moolavar's name in the divyadesam(Thirukkudanthai) is "Abari Aapthamrutham : Aravamudham" Saranga...

Arulmakkadal : Kripa samudra Perumal : Thiru Sirupuliyur. Thayar : Dhaya Nayagi.

Talking of Thayar thirunamams, I think it would be blasphemy not to mention Thiruninravoor : Her name is Ennaipetra Thayar. Amma.

What will I list? what to miss? One of my favorites is Paal Pandian from Thirumeyyam. :)) It sounds so rowdyish and so boyish.

And of course of my own Lord, Swami Varadarajan from Thiru Kacchi, PerAruLaLan. Sonna Vannam seitha perumal : Yathokthakari from Kanchi. Aha!

I think it was probably to say, repeat and savor the flavor of the tongue that utters the name, and the happiness that springs forth in the mind that "Vedam thamizh seitha vithagan" Swami Sadogopan translated the Vedas into thamizh as Divya Prabhandham.

"Ponnaikk kondu uraikal meethe
niramezha uraitharpol,
Unnaikk kondu en navagam paal
matrindri uraithukk konden,
Unnaikondu ennil itten,
ennaiyum unnil itten,
En appa! En Irudikesa,
en uyir kavalane!"

Like gold is scratched to insignificance
when tested for purity against the touchstone
So I wore my tongue down to utter nothing but Your name,
I cast Yourself in me
So did I throw myself into You(in belief and love)
My Father! My Lord of Hrishikesh,
He who protects my soul and life!

There is also another circumstance when (I guess) Thirumangai alwar writes "Nathazhambu erave nan uraipen, Narayana ennum Namam!"

Probably this is why Nama samkeerthana is the best way to please the Lord. It actually gets us to think about His deeds and His "Kalyana Gunas" which increase our belief in Him and also on the side gives some activity to the otherwise idle mind.

Adiyen Vedantha Desika Dasi.

10 comments:

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Arumai .God bless you..Me too from thiruvallikeni but of no use in front of your narration
TC
CU

Vanjula said...

CU,
R u from thiruvallikeni? wow!!

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Amaam,adiyenum Thiruvallikeni than.oru vidhyasam enna vendral
Ungalai pol silar kavithai thodutthu santhoshamga irukkireergal,matravartgalaiyum santhoshappadutthureergal..Anaal ennai pol silar agraharatthil kazhudaigalaga valam varugirom..
Neram kidaikkum podu ennoda Blog pidtralgalukku varugai tharungal

TC

CU

lokakshemam said...

Hi Vanjula,
My Guru is currently doing a translation of Srimad Bhagawad Gita... his reasons are:
1. There are too many translations and too many interpretations/ mis-interpretations
2. All we need is a simple translation with multiple meanings for each sanskrit word (/ padam)
3. We need to first liberate the Gita and then use it to liberate us

The first draft is complete... he is working on a second revision.

If you are interested please email me and I will email you some chapters (my email address is lokakshemam@gmail.com).

Also do check out his translation of the Purushasuktam - I thought of sending it to you as you have a blog called Shristi... creation as transformation is a concept that is not always thought as creation!

http://www.sundarasimham.org/ebooks/ebook73.htm

Happy belated New Year!

Vanjula said...

@Lokakshemam,

Sure. Will do! thanks.

Prakash G said...

Hi Hamsa, How r u ? u know what, I was searching for "kulam tharum" meaning in google, it took me here :)

Prakash G said...

Hi Hamsa, How r u ? u know what, I was searching for "kulam tharum" meaning in google, it took me here :)

Vanjula said...

@prakash,

what a coincidence..:)) i thought the world was small..it seems that the www is small too..:))

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

AparryAptamrudan alias Araa'vamudhan is called Sarngapani and not Sarangapani.

The Rajagopuram has "Sri Sarnga! Sri Sarnga! Sri Sarnga!"

[http://www.pbase.com/svami/image/67555112]

& "Thelliyasingan" is a nice singular name too :)

Vanjula said...

@Sriram,

:) yes. I am from Thiruvallikeni and Thelliyasingar is beautiful name. Well. Sarangapani sannithi is the way my family has referred to Swami of Thirukudanthai and I still call Him Sarangapani. :) So.

Thanks.